Rice is a cereal that can be used with a variety of ingredients, to create delicious and unique recipes, and has been present for many centuries in different cultures. One of its most popular varieties, Arborio, became so popular that any grocery store offers it to its customers.
A rice variety with a lot of history
One of the most widely known rice dishes worldwide is risotto, made with short-grain Arborio type, like riceselect.com/product/arborio. Nowadays it is easily available in stores and online markets; however, it is a type of rice that goes a long way that is worth knowing. Italian rice was first cultivated in Arborio, a northern Italy town, located in the Po Valley.
It stands out for its creamy texture on the outside, and for having a slightly soft, easy to chew core, which makes it perfect for preparing risottos or rice puddings. Although it was mainly cropped in Italy, today the United States is one of the largest producers of Arborio rice, which is usually labeled as “risotto rice”, so that consumers can more easily find it on store shelves.
Annually, American rice producers sustainably grow up to 20 billion pounds of rice, and Arkansas is one of the most productive states, with 40% of the country’s total production. Consumers can be sure that the rice they usually eat comes from organic crops, which do not harm the environment or any animals during their processes, so they can enjoy a more nutritious and overall healthy rice.
American Arborio t is an improved type of rice that easily adapts to different cooking methods and recipes, that’s why it is one of the favorites of chefs and home cooking enthusiasts in the US.
So, to taste and enjoy a good Arborio-based dish, just remember to use good quality, renowned brand rice and carefully follow the instructions.
Mushroom rice with apples
Now that you know a little more about this rice type you should try the following recipe, for a delicious dish in which Arborio is the main ingredient.
- 14.1 ounces of Arborio rice.
- An Ambrosia apple.
- 7 mushrooms.
- A large onion.
- Half a glass of white wine.
- 1.5 qt of chicken or vegetable stock (water will be ok, but the first option is recommended for rice to acquire a richer flavor).
- 2 ounces of Parmesan or Grana Padano cheese.
- Olive oil, salt and ground black pepper.
- You can start by chopping the onion very finely.
- Put olive oil and a pinch of salt into a pot over medium heat. When the oil is hot add the chopped onion and sauté for five minutes until tender and transparent. Do not forget to stir occasionally.
- Take the mushrooms and cut their roots, then wash them to remove the soil, and cut them into thick slices.
- Cut the ambrosia apple in half, remove the bark and chop in dice.
- Now add the mushrooms and half of the apple dice to the pot, grind some black pepper over, and cook for about five minutes.
- Heat the broth or water to boiling point; if you are only going to use water remember to add salt.
- When five minutes pass, increase the heat of the pot and add the white wine, cook for another two or three minutes until the alcohol evaporates completely.
- Lower the heat to get an average temperature. Incorporate the Arborio rice and the rest of the ingredients, stirring thoroughly for a couple of minutes.
- Take the hot broth and add little by little so the rice absorbs it as much as possible. This process can take 15 to 20 minutes while the rice is cooking.
- Stir the rice once in a while when you pour the broth.
- The remaining apple cubes can be thrown over the mix.
- At fifteen minutes check the rice, if ready add the Parmesan cheese, and remove the pot from the heat.
Undoubtedly this Italian rice type is the ideal option when preparing risottos, like the one in the previous recipe, so it is worth having it at home. This is one of the best ways to enjoy a delicious dish with family or friends, without having to be a skillful chef.