Stressful lives and sedentary lifestyles have rendered us with very little time to be spent our bodies. Most of the time we neglect our bodies so much that we stop realizing and understanding the most common indications that the body gives us which should be taken seriously in order to avoid further hassles and troubles. Such a stressful life when coupled with irregular and unhealthy dietary patterns, the result most obviously is upset stomach and diarrhea. Though these are ailments which are not supposed to be panicked about, it is always wise to understand the common home remedies which can cure diarrhea and an upset stomach easily.
What Causes Upset Stomach and Diarrhea?
Stomach Upset is also known as Diverticulitis or Colonic Diverticulitis. Usually, infection or inflammation in any one or more of the small pouches of the digestive tract causes this ailment. Some of the symptoms of this ailment include fever, pain, nausea, and changes in bowel habits. Mostly this ailment affects people above the age of 40.
Diarrhea, on the other hand, is referred to the condition where the patient suffers from abnormally loose or watery stools.
However, one must not confuse diarrhea with multiple bowel clearance especially where the stool is of normal consistency or when breastfed babies pass loose or pasty stools. Food constitutes an important factor and choice of food can lead to upset stomach and diarrhea after eating such food.
Some of The Common Causes of Upset Stomach and Diarrhea
- Infection caused by bacteria such as Salmonella, Campylobacter, Shigella, and Shiga-toxin-producing Escherichia coli
- Infections caused by parasites
- Infections caused by viruses
- Microscopic colitis which often leads to persistent diarrhea especially during nights among older people
- Malabsorptive and maldigestive diarrhea caused due to impaired nutrient absorption and impaired digestive functions respectively
- Long travels and elongated use of antibiotics
- Use of laxatives and other drugs especially antibiotics
- Hormonal factors such as in the case of Addison Disease and Carcinoid Tumors
- Cancers such as gut cancers which cause neoplastic diarrhea
Home Remedies For Upset Stomach and Diarrhea
Diarrhea and an upset stomach can be easily cured with simple home remedies. Some of the easy to use home remedies include
- Taking ample rest
- Taking more of liquids and fluids. Especially water and coconut water (helps in reducing pain, muscle cramps and muscle spasms)
- Adhering to a low fiber diet
- Taking Oral Rehydration Solution or Products which might also be a simple water solution which has glucose and salt
- Consuming high potassium foods and liquids. For example diluted fruit juices, potatoes without the skin, and bananas
- Consuming high-sodium foods and liquids. For example broths, soups, sports drinks, and salted crackers
- Eating foods which are high in soluble fiber. For example banana, rice, and oatmeal which would help thicken the stool
- Limiting difficult to digest foods such as creamy, fried, and sugary foods. For example
- Fructose in high amounts, from fruit juices, grapes, honey, dates, nuts, figs, soft drinks, and prunes
- Sugar-free gum, mints, sweet cherries, and prunes
- Caffeinated drinks
- Lactose in dairy products
- Consuming Bitters, Lime, and Soda which contain a blend of herbs such as cinnamon, fennel, mint, and ginger help reducing nausea
- Consuming ginger which has anti inflammatory properties and relieves pain and nausea
- Consuming Cinnamon or adding cinnamon powder to the meals since it contains several antioxidants such as camphor, eugenol, linalool, and cinnamaldehyde
- Consuming cloves which help reduce gas in stomach and increase gastric secretions
- Consuming cumin which helps in decreasing gas, reducing indigestion, reducing excess stomach acids, reducing intestinal inflammation, and acting as an antimicrobial agent
- Consuming basil which helps in reducing gas, increasing appetite, relieving cramping, and improving overall digestion
- Consuming Chamomile Tea which has anti-inflammatory properties
- Consuming BRAT (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast) diet being a low fiber and high binding food without the presence of salt and spices which can aggravate the symptoms
- Consuming peppermint which helps to relieve nausea
- Consuming Figs which act as a laxative and help in easing indigestion and constipation
- Consuming Licorice which helps in reducing inflammation of the stomach lining (Gastritis)
- Consuming Apple Cider Vinegar
- Consuming Aloe Vera Juice which helps in reducing inflammation, improving protein digestion, reducing excess stomach acids, encouraging healthy bowel movements, encouraging toxin removal, promoting a balance of digestive bacteria
- Avoiding smoking and drinking
While diarrhea and upset stomach can be easily cured by above mentioned home remedies. There are situations when it might be necessary to take antibiotics or medicines for stomach ache and diarrhea and undertake hospital care. In case the patient feels severe chronic situation, it should not be neglected and immediate medical attention should be given. In rare cases, patients might even require a surgery to recover from such ailment depending on the situation.
Medically Reviewed By