Once in a while you might have experienced uncontrollable and unexplained itching all over the body, you might have wondered what could be the problem. Before we dig deeper into itching, we first have to comprehend what the term means.
To begin with, an itchy skin is an uncontrollable feeling that makes one want to scratch that certain area to ease the feeling. Sometimes the itchiness can be an illness and one is preferably needed to see the doctor to undergo some tests. If the doctor discovers the cause of the itchiness they can provide treatment. An itchy skin is referred to as PRURITUS.
Causes of Uncontrollable/Unexplained Itching all over Body
There are different causes of an itchy skin. Possible causes of itchy skin might include
Most people who suffer from dry skin may be due to dehydration, harmful sun rays, smoking and even stress. Continuous use of harsh chemicals such as bathing soaps, antiperspirants, perfumes or even very hot shower leads to dry skin which is very itchy due to irritation.
Skin Conditions and Rashes
The rash is discoloration that affects the normal skin appearance. Rashes can appear in different parts of the body and the affected area feels itchy. Some skin conditions associated with rashes include:
- Eczema: It is a childhood disorder that mostly affects the inner aspects of the elbow, back of the knees, cheeks, neck wrists and ankles and causes red itchy rashes.
- Contact Dermatitis: It is caused by contact with a chemical that a person is allergic to or something that directly irritates the skin and only affects the area that has been in contact with the chemical.
- Diaper Rash: It’s common with babies that are in constant use of diapers and rashes appear in areas that come into contact with the diapers and the skin turns red due to irritation.
- Drug Eruptions: Drugs such as antibiotics may cause skin rash as a sign of side effect and are first noticed by the itchy skin.
- Heat Rash: It can also be referred to as Miliaria and is mostly caused by constriction of sweat ducts during hot, damp weather and is common in infants who are kept extra warm.
- Internal Diseases: Skin acts as an outside image of what is happening inside the body. Any changes to the skin may be a sign of serious health problems and can be easily dealt with before they turn out to be a bigger problem.
Nerve disorders such as neurogenic itch occur when opioids. An analgesic substance is released from the brain and originates from the nervous system. Neuropathic itch is as a result of the nerve damage and it occurs when the peripheral and central nervous system malfunctions and therefore become the origin of pain.
Very rare cases of itching can be experienced by some women during pregnancy. This is caused by an increased flow of blood to the skin. In other cases, very severe itching might be due to a liver condition called Obstetric Cholestasis or Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy. This condition is not usually harmful to the mother but can endanger the life of the unborn child since it can cause serious complications.
Signs of Uncontrollable/Unexplained Itching all over Body
Itching can be associated with different signs and symptoms depending on the underlying cause. They include
- The sensation of something crawling on the skin
- Feeling of something moving in the blood
- Bumps on the skin
- Cramping and Blistering
- Dry skin
- Skin Redness
- Flaky Scalp
- Cracked Skin
- Spots on the Skin
Home Remedies for Uncontrollable/Unexplained Itching all over Body
Some of the Home Remedies that can be Used for the Treatment of Itchy Skin Include
- Cold Application: The use of cold can ease the itch since both cold and itch travel on the same nerve fibers. Running cold water on the affected area or placing a cold cloth may ease the itch.
- Avoid Scratching the Affected Area: This probably the most important self-care measure since continuous scratching may lead to damage of the skin and degenerate the itching.
- Using Mild Soaps Free From Perfumes: Avoiding substances that irritate the skin due to its allergic reactions may ease itching since some skins are very delicate and are often affected by strong chemicals.
- Colloidal Oatmeal: This is a special type of oats that have been ground into fine powder and it is mostly found in soaps and when added to a cool bath can help treat itchiness.
- Leaf Gels: Products extracted from plants such as Aloe Vera gel can be used to treat simple itches caused by sunburns and even mosquito bites.
Itching any part of the body can be frustrating and shameful especially when experienced at a public place. Itching should least worry one. Knowing the cause of uncontrollable and unexplained itching all over the body can help in finding the right remedy of the problem. There are several home remedies of itching which can be used to ease the itching. It’s advised that if itching persists one should see a qualified physician for further tests and treatment.
Medically Reviewed By