Abdominal pain and frequent urination in a female can be quite stressful at times as it interferes with the sleep and can often land them in embarrassing situations. On an average, a person urinates for about 6-8 times in a day (24 hour period).
Reasons For Abdominal Pain and Frequent Urination in Female
Most of the times, urinating frequently can occur when you have a lot of fluids or drinks. This can increase urine production as it irritates the bladder. Some of the examples are taking more coffee or tea or this can occur when you have a lot of soft drinks.
A number of times frequent urination is accompanied with abdominal pain and this is quite common. This can occur when you have problems with the urinary tract, reproductive system or the cardiovascular system.
Some of the Other Causes of the Same Are Mentioned Below
- Drinking More Caffeine Beverages or Alcohol
- Have a Habit of Bedwetting
- Pelvic Floor Organs Are Weak
- Stones in the Bladder
- Suffering From Interstitial Cystitis
- Low Estrogen Levels
- Overactive Bladder
- Vaginal Infection
- Polycystic Kidney Disease
- Infection in the Urinary Tract
- Systemic Gonococcal Infection (Gonorrhea)
- Right Sided Heart Failure
- Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI)
Frequent urination can also occur due to obesity. Excess weight often puts the pressure on the bladder and this in turn makes the pelvic floor muscles weak. Another factor that can cause this condition is pregnancy. Abdominal pain and frequent urination during pregnancy occur when the pressure on the bladder increases as the uterus starts to grow. So this can cause more trips to the washroom. As per studies conducted, more than 42% of women suffer from frequent urination during pregnancy.
Menopause too can cause abdominal pain and frequent urination. When women do not have their period, the body does not produce estrogen. This is one hormone that can impact the bladder and urethra lining. This can badly affect bladder control. Lower abdominal pain after urination can often occur in females due to this. Frequent urination can also occur if the woman has a history of vaginal childbirth.
Treatment For Abdominal Pain and Frequent Urination in Female
If you have been experiencing pain in the lower abdomen when urinating and pooping, it is time you seek medical help. The treatment can depend on the symptoms, and some of them are listed below
- If you have frequent vomiting
- If you happen to see blood in the urine or stool
- Experiencing shortness of breath
- If you have a chest pain
You also need to seek immediate medical attention if you have severe abdominal pain and you are pregnant. Bloated stomach and frequent urination in females is common but you need to fix an appointment with your doctor when,
- The pain lasts for more than 24 hours
- Have loss of appetite
- Having excessive thirst
- Experiencing pain when urinating
- Have a foul smelling urine
If you have pain and are experiencing frequent urination due to something you drank the same day, the symptoms should ease off within a day or so. If you are having an infection, it is important you use antibiotics and these are prescribed after a medical examination. If these conditions are due to any rare and severe conditions like heart failure. It is treated with regimes.
Home Remedies For Abdominal Pain and Frequent Urination in Female
Medical attention is necessary in the worst cases of abdominal pain and frequent urination. But mild cases can be treated with the help of some home remedies.
You can start by watching the amount of fluids you are drinking and if you are urinating in excess. If you are sure that the symptoms caused are only due to UTI, you need to have more fluids. This is help get rid of bacteria from the urinary tract.
Let us also have a look at some of the home remedies you can follow to treat the same
- You can use pomegranate paste to treat frequent urination. The paste has to be made from the skin of pomegranate, add a little water to it and consume everyday till the symptoms disappear.
- You can even eat toasted horse gram for a few days.
- Frequent urination can also be controlled by having sesame seeds mixed with jaggery.
- You can make a powder of fenugreek seeds and add ginger and water to make it like a juice. You can consume this every day for 3-4 days for relief.
- Avoid taking drinks that have alcohol or caffeine content.
- Aloe Vera juice too works wonders. This helps to treat the pain and also eases many symptoms related to frequent urination.
- You can even try a number of exercises that help in bladder control. You can even talk to your doctor about the same.
- Yoghurt has a high content of probiotics and hence improves your digestive system.
- Jaggery is one of the best remedies that can be used to treat frequent urination in women.
- You also need to monitor the fluid intake every day.
- Cumin seeds also aid in digestion and thus help to reduce the pain. It also treats the problems that cause frequent urination.
Abdominal pain and frequent urination in females should never be neglected. If the pain and the uneasiness continue for more than 24 hours, it is time you visit your doctor. While explaining the conditions can at times be embarrassing, remember that it is for your good.
Medically Reviewed By
Maanasi specializes in health topics including diet and nutrition. A mother of an untiring seven year old, she enjoys nurturing her love affair with English. She is often found nestled with a book, plopped against a dozen pillows, smiling away at the brink of finishing yet another book of the many dozens, that adorn the shelves of her Mini Library!